Project 2: Mid-century Modern Home Remodel

Creating Space …

We remodeled the entryway, main living area, dining room, kitchen, and master bath of this 1950s era Tiburon home as soon as it was purchased in 2015. Then in 2018, the owners asked us to do an add-on to the original structure, a family/kid’s room, and powder room just off of the kitchen.

On the slides showing 3 collaged images, the photos on the left are the before shots. The first is of the kitchen, and the other is of the main living space. Upon viewing the right-side photo of the main living space, you will see that we removed the wall separating the kitchen and dining room, as well as the entry and dining room (the wall with shutters). This change made a huge difference, as it really opened up the space between the living room, dining area, and kitchen. The images showing the addition of the family/kid’s room appear toward the end of the slideshow.

No designers or architects were used on this project. The clients had good ideas and showed photos of the ideas they liked. An architect, however, was hired to develop the structural plans for the new addition.

Following are the other customizations we implemented to meet the needs of these owners in the 2015 remodel:

  • We completely remodeled the kitchen, with new cabinets built by one of our custom cabinet makers who used a conversion varnish finish. The countertops are Caesarstone with a Carrera marble subway tile backsplash. We added new LED recessed lighting, as well.
  • We upgraded the electrical and lighting was added throughout the areas we remodeled.
  • We kept the original oak flooring and extended it into the kitchen, and had it refinished grey using a Ceruse technique, where we used different stains so that the finish had depth.
  • The living room windows were replaced and trimmed with wood, as were the other existing windows and doors. We went with custom milled poplar trim. We kept it square and added a cap piece on top of the head trim to give it some style. The idea was to stay within the style of the house and the client’s tastes. We like how the new living room windows look with the trim filled in between the windows.
  • The textured walls were covered over and made smooth.
  • The brick wall extending past the fireplace was removed and the brick fireplace was plastered over. The original fireplace had been painted white inside and out. Our clients asked us to close in the end and remove the wall that extended into the room. For the mantel, we added a reclaimed hand-hewn beam our client’s selected on a trip with us to a salvage yard. We had the brick plastered over, with a light texture added. It was left unpainted so that you can see depth in the plaster. A sheen can be seen on the surface, in addition to subtle colors in the plaster.
  • The master bathroom was redesigned.
  • We repaired the deck on the back of the home.

This is the work we completed in the 2018 room additions:

  • We used the same trim and wood ceiling that was used throughout the rest of the house to give a cohesive look to the new space.
  • We removed the window above the kitchen sink and counter which created a large pass-through on that wall. This enabled the owner’s to work in the kitchen while also keeping a close eye on their small children. This also gave them a place where their children’s toys were hidden from guests visiting in the main living room.
  • We worked with one of our local cabinet makers to design and install a custom built-in desk with shelves and an entertainment cabinet. Both pieces were designed to compliment the style of the cabinetry in the kitchen.
  • We added a small powder room at one end of the new living space, nestling it next to the area holding the built-in desk and shelves.
  • During construction we left the old window and door in place which kept the majority of the construction dust and debris separate from their current living area.

The owners were very happy with our work during both of these construction phases. We are also thrilled that they referred us to another client!

Back to Projects